Pantone recently announced that their 2019 Color of the Year is ‘living coral.’ While most people are probably adding coral-hued clothing items to their wishlists, I immediately started thinking about how I can incorporate coral into my beauty routine. After all, coral is a universally flattering shade! Almost any skin tone can pull off coral makeup, it just depends on how much yellow, red, and brown are incorporated into the coral shade. Plus, it couldn't be a more perfect shade for spring and summer. It just feels so fun and fresh!
Still I could understand how wearing coral could be intimidating to someone who has never sported it before. Not sure how to wear coral makeup? These are my three favorite ways to wear coral makeup and nails.
Coral is the ultimate expression of tropic glam - whether you're on a beach vacation, or just wishing that you were. I love the combination of sexy smoky eyes and a flirty coral-colored lipstick!
The trick to this look? Apply foundation after applying eye makeup. Creating a smokey eye can result in a lot of eyeshadow fall out. Make clean up easy by simply swiping away fallen eyeshadow with makeup remover, then applying foundation as you normally would.
Here’s how to get the look:
- Use a light-colored shimmery shadow or highlight on the inner corners of your eyes and your brow bones. This will make the eye appear brighter while enhancing definition and pop!
- Using a small eyeshadow brush, apply a soft brown shade to the crease of your eyelids and beneath your eyes.
- Apply a darker brown to the outer corners of your eyes and blend into the crease color.
- Apply a soft brown eyeliner to your upper and lower lash lines, then gently smudge for that smokey look.
- Add several coats of mascara, then apply foundation as normal. Don’t forget to add bronzer for an extra tropical glow!
- Fill in lips with Dermelect’s 4-in-1 Smooth Lip Solution in the color ‘Intimate’. No need to use lip liner or lip gloss! This treatment is a gloss, lipstick, balm and stain in one. This velvety soft lip color goes on clear and then builds into a bright, beautiful pink on the lip. I love how it provides a smooth, shiny finish to nourish chapped lips.
If you love red nails, coral is the perfect update for warm weather. I'm currently obsessed with our 'ME' LUST STRUCK Creamy Coral nail polish on short, squared nails. The best part? This revolutionary formula is infused with protein peptides to strengthen weak nails and resist chipping. Say goodbye to chipped manicures from afternoons at the pool!
Have a lot of weddings coming up this spring? My go-to look for weddings is a classic red lip with sculpted brows. But this year I’ll be updating my go-to with coral blush, which adds a natural, gorgeous flush. Embrace the coral makeup trend at your next summer party or special event with this romantic look.
Here’s how to do it:
- Apply your favorite foundation and powder. If you want, you can add a couple drops of liquid luminizer to your foundation for an extra dew-y finish.
- Apply a coral cream blush to your cheekbones. Pro tip: I like to use my fingertips - the warmth from my hands works to have the product blend better into my skin.
- Swipe a soft coral eyeshadow across your eyelids, then apply a slightly darker shade into your crease.
- Fill in brows using a small, angled eyebrow brush. To achieve a natural brow, remember to lightly fill in the sparse areas. You want to make sure you get a style that won’t look too fake or dramatic.
- Line your upper lash line with black liquid eyeliner. Apply two coats of black mascara. If you’re feeling extra adventurous, add false eyelashes!
- Line lips with a red lip liner, then fill in with your favorite red lipstick. Don’t forget to blot!
What do you think about Pantone’s 2019 color of the year? Will you be wearing coral makeup this spring and summer? Let me know in the comments!